the prime of life

Living your dream sometimes means having to wake up.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

payday

Ahh, fiscal comfort once again. I had a nice surprise in there too, a retroactive raise from the performance reviews earlier in the year. It's not a big shift but 5 months worth of minuscule back pay adds up. The actual raise (knock wood) should kick in next pay period.

I've opened my account with SunTrust and I'm keeping it simple for the time being. Bank of America is still open right now, but that's only because my change in direct deposit hasn't taken effect yet. Once it does, I'm outta there.

Yesterday was a nice day. With my unexpected windfall, I treated myself to a manicure (I haven't been able to bite my nails with my new teeth and they've gotten quite long) and bought my roommate some concert tickets he's been salivating over as a thanks for everything he's done for me. Some of my sub-dermal stitches had come to the surface, so I needed to go to the doctor to get them removed. Between that and the manicure, my arm had been manhandled by the end of the day and oh, I was feeling it.

Everything in the condo is on the fritz right now. The AC needs a new compressor (luckily it has only topped out at 75 degrees the past few days)... the jacuzzi tub wouldn't jacuzz. DirecTV isn't picking up the signal anymore. Roommate was smart to get a home warranty when he bought the place and now we're jacuzzing happily and the new compressor is on its way. DirecTV? Well, that's not so simple. We have to cut down a tree. It has grown in the past year and now completely blocks the dish. I've been trying to convince roommate that cable is a much more viable (and less expensive) option, but so far, to no avail.

And Noah is here on Thursday! So excited!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sayre said...

Okay - I'm sure I know this answer somewhere in my head, but who's Noah??? I mean besides the guy with the ark...

5/19/2007 3:02 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Noah is an ex-boyfriend turned best friend. He's the one I stay with every time in NYC...

5/19/2007 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about moving the dish, versus cutting down a tree?

John

5/20/2007 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt you would be happy with cable. It is much less versitile, and has a tendency to be off-line frequently. Dish Network, and also Direct TV, can move the dish to accomodate the tree, and they might even do it for free. Also, Cable charges keep going up, and you might find yourself paying more for less. Just a thought--Mom

5/20/2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Moving the dish isn't so easy -- Comcast for a longtime didn't provide service to our block, so everyone in the building has a dish or two on the roof. The real estate up there with a clear shot to the satillite is minimal at best. We're going to clear away a few branches first to see if that helps.

AS for cable, we priced it out... the high-speed internet, digital cable, and phone pacakge comes out to almost $50 less than what we're currently paying for DSL/Phone/DirecTV. So even if rates go up, we're still doing better than we were...

5/20/2007 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home