the prime of life

Living your dream sometimes means having to wake up.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

constant craving

My childhood memories are pretty much swiss cheese -- full of holes. I can only remember teensy bits and pieces from before I was thirteen years old. Every once in a while, though, something will set me off and I'll remember something so vividly that I'd forgotten so long ago.

Today, I was scanning a message board I like to frequent, and one of the topics was when you can first tell a child will grow up to be a homosexual after observing her three year old niece develop a crush on a female friend of the family.

That question triggered this memory:
My mother had these enormous magenta and purple mu-mus with appliqué flowers that she used as a nightgown. I loved wearing them because a) they were so comfortable, and b) when I spun around the dress spread out around me, and I thought I looked like k.d. lang in one of her music videos where she did the same thing.

I also thought k.d. lang was a boy at the time.

But, now, in retrospect, a little boy who loves k.d. lang music videos... yeah, that's probably a very clear indication you'll grow up homo.
Despite what the religious right desperately asserts, sexuality is completely by nature, not nurture. My parents raised five straighties ahead of me and I somehow don't think they accidentally bred me as an aberration. Nor is it a choice; as I explained to my father at one point, why would I wake up one morning and actively decide to be a social pariah?

In this political season, I wish that people would realize this. I once explained to my very conservative brother that though I may share some similar points of view with the conservative line of thought, I can never, ever, ever cast a vote for someone who views me as less deserving of a right or a privilege because of something I have no control over. Ron Paul's performance at the Republican debates last week was eye-opening, but a look back on his congressional record concerning gay issues is moreso, and puts him quite at odds with the man he wants everyone to think he is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sayre said...

I always wondered when you knew or how you knew. I think we knew before you did, but I can't really put my finger on why. Was it the Dolly Parton thing?

I just remember being relieved when you finally came out to us so we didn't have to tiptoe around the subject anymore.

5/22/2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger JR said...

I knew as soon as I had some concept of sexual identity. Thank the Diaries of Adrian Mole for that. It's strange to know things about yourself but not have a name for it. When I knew what sex was, I knew what I was, but pushed it to the background for a couple of years.

It amuses me that everyone was waiting with baited breath, hoping I'd come to terms with myself and thinking I was horribly conflicted... when I'd already done that ages ago and all it took was someone -- you -- asking me over a plate of nachos. It was never a big deal to me.

5/22/2007 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home