the prime of life

Living your dream sometimes means having to wake up.

Monday, March 26, 2007

productivity

After living in this apartment for almost a year, somehow in the past week or so I saw it fit to finally unpack my last few boxes. ...well, most of them, at least. I need some photo albums or something, I've got a box full of photos with no home. This fit was part of a massive spring cleaning initiative I randomly took on one afternoon, and now I'm amid a lovely, clean, comfortable room. With very bare walls.

So I hiked over to Ikea (which I LOVE) and bought a shoe rack, a laundry hamper, a duvet cover, and little square mirrors for the wall. I arranged them in a checkerboard pattern, and it looks great. Next stop is a craft store for a little glass paint, and we'll have stained glass mirrors (something I had back in NY, which worked to great effect)!

My building now has three condos for sale here -- one of which has been on the market for nearly six months now. They've reduced the price again, to $95K. Its a really nice one bedroom, with columns, brand new appliances, and a front porch. My roommate worked out the mortgage -- for 10% down on a 30 year lease, it'd be less than $600 a month, less than what I paid in rent in NYC.

I have never really rolled the prospect of buying around in my head (nor am I going to act on this) but if I had the 10% readily at my disposal right now I might seriously consider it. With the way the property values in this neighborhood are generally on the rise (a momentary backslide right now, granted) -- even if I'm only there for a short time, a tidy profit could be made.

But really? Homeowner? Perish the thought. But I look at this and see something achievable, something to aim toward. And how it might not be so difficult after all.

This growing up thing scares me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up..it happens eventually..welcome to adulthood, with love--dad

3/26/2007 11:35 AM  
Blogger Sayre said...

Homeownership's not so bad - I'm about to do it AGAIN! Of course, it does tend to suck your money away. I just called the insurance guy and told him we'd replace the roof within a year...

3/26/2007 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home