the prime of life

Living your dream sometimes means having to wake up.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

the onset

I've been fielding calls from family over the past two days, assuring them that yes, yes, yes, I will be at the farm for Christmas. Shingles won't get in my way. I spoke to John at length about what this disease is all about and how I may not be out of the woods yet. The rash, the skin pain, etc -- that's all pretty awful but the bad part -- the part that kept Dave Letterman off TV for a month when he got shingles -- is something called postherpetic neuralgia. Since shingles is an attack on the nerves, it can leave nerve endings very damaged and cause some excruciating pain as a result -- and its pain that can not be treated with standard pain killers.

On the bright side, it is a complication that only affects about 20% of people who have shingles, and that generally skews older.

On the far dimmer side, I seem to be one of those rare exceptions. Tonight, I was back at work, trying to be normal. As I lifted some frozen yogurt back into the freezer, my back tensed up. I stopped what I was doing. It tensed some more. I tried to relax it, it tensed further... until, eventually, I was on the floor, tears streaming from my eyes and unable to stand up. What was worse was that it was after closing -- I was the only one left. I called my roommate and through wails of pain asked him to pick me up. I then called my boss, explained exactly what happened and that it was not likely I'd be able to come into work tomorrow... all while still on the floor. I have never been this immobile in my life, and the pain is terrible.

I am back home now with a great deal of assistance from my roommate. I once again have to re-evaluate whether or not going home for Christmas is a good idea. I really would love to see my family but a 4-6 hour drive each way could quite possibly be a terrifically painful experience... plus I'd basically be confined to a couch the entire time I'm there. Not a lot of fun for anyone involved.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah! I hope you make it!

12/21/2006 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home