the prime of life

Living your dream sometimes means having to wake up.

Friday, November 09, 2007

fragile

The human body... remarkable and amazing in its ability to protect itself and rebound from trouble.

And incredibly fragile. My friend D in NYC went under the knife on Wednesday for a heart procedure. My brother J had surgery today for a back problem. And of course, there was my little four day hospital adventure, still fresh in my mind after seven months. (Incidentally, the swelling has gone down and the stiffness alleviated...nothing of great concern at this point.)

And that's where my mind is now. Preoccupied and worried. I haven't heard from D yet, and J sounds like he's having the same problems I did when I was in the hospital. It's a rough go, but they'll be fine. Maybe a bit grouchy (and occasionally loopy from painkillers) for a while, but ...fine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sayre said...

Brother J stayed in the hospital overnight. He was having a little trouble breathing, it seems, so they kept him just to make sure. Mom came and crashed on ZBoy's bed last night. There was nowhere comfortable to sleep at the hospital and she was too tired to drive home. She just left to pick up J and take him back home with her for a few days until he's able to be on his own again. Bike Mike is taking care of Waukee.

11/09/2007 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plus, it isn't J's back... it is his front. He had a hernia repaired.

John

11/09/2007 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Dad tells me that you already know that "Laura", as Sayre calls her in her blog, died today.
I gave brother J. the choice of being driven home in the 5:00 traffic or being driven home in the dark with me--always an adventure. He chose 5:00, and we were on the road a little over an hour to go 20 miles. I'm weary.
Love, Mom

11/09/2007 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home