the prime of life

Living your dream sometimes means having to wake up.

Monday, October 08, 2007

"There is a thin line between passion and obsession. I like to think I dance all over it."

I have to wonder sometimes if I'm not a very highly functioning autistic. I read up on it a few weeks ago and a lot of things really clicked. It would go a long way to explaining my difficulties in social situations, some of my compulsive behaviors (most anyone who has lived with me can attest to my thing with straws, amongst other things), and my abilities to absorb information quickly and be able to repeat it nearly perfect on the first try -- as evidenced by my computer expertise and my immediate understanding of policy and procedure with work.

I struggled in school, though it had nothing to do with the actual learning. Middle school was a breeze, and the only time I actually did WELL because a lot of it was stuff I already had a working knowledge of from elementary school.

If you ever wondered why theatre clicked so firmly for me, consider that it was often the only outlet I felt I had that I could get past a lot of the mental blocks I'd set up. I work in a largely social setting, and I use that theatre training every single day. Without it, I'd probably be even more of a nervous wreck.

It can be useful, it can be hindering. I get frustrated at work when those around me don't pick up on the minute details. I can quote written policy as if it were great literature. Occasionally I lose my patience, and later on I have to stop and remind myself that it's not their fault they can't see things the way I do.

Of course, this is all just me trying to assign some sort of identity to my numerous quirks. After twenty seven years, I still find myself completely baffling.

3 Comments:

Blogger TeKay said...

just wondering if you got my text message last week.

10/08/2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger JR said...

I did :)

10/08/2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger Sayre said...

Mom's convinced that she and most of us have a touch (or in some cases, more than a touch) of Aspberger's. From what I've heard, I may agree. That could be what your issues are...

10/08/2007 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home